“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.” –Psalm 19:1
Walking along the bluffs of Lands End, descending from the stone labyrinth to the beach where we would conclude the Eucharist, I found myself hiking alongside eight-year-old Gabrielle. She said with an inquiring tone, “I didn’t know we could do church outside…” I talked about God’s presence being everywhere and how I came up with Holy Hikes and she exclaimed, “I think God meant for us to do church outdoors!” My heart leapt with joy—she got it! The year 2013 was a very exciting year for Holy Hikes…
- We celebrated our three-year anniversary with a liturgical hike back out to Land’s End followed with a presentation by Native Bird Connections
- We received our Trademark for Holy Hikes™
- We held our very first Zoocharist at the Oakland Zoo
- We released an online, streamed version of the Holy Hikes DVD
- And for the first time ever we had a table at Diocesan Convention and were asked to submit a report on Holy Hikes for the Convention booklet.
For the past three years, every month we have gathered for Eucharistic hikes at one of dozens of “green spaces” around the San Francisco Bay Area. This year we have visited Mount Diablo State Park, The Oakland Zoo, Marin Headlands , Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve, Point Pinole Regional Shoreline, Coyote Hills Regional Park, Lake Chabot Regional Park, and Land’s End in San Francisco. With your support we can expand this ministry and offer the infrastructure to take it beyond monthly hikes into new ways of worshipping together alongside Creation.
Please make a one-time year-end donation to Holy Hikes to help sustain Holy Hikes. Without you, our “Holy Hikers,” these adventures would just be empty trails. We are grateful for your support and your heartfelt prayers.
You can also send a check to:
PO BOX 1426
Orinda, CA 94563
Or you can easily donate online from your credit card or bank account: